Certified Inpatient Coding Specialist
Welcome to Memorial Hermann where each of our more than 27,000 employees and 6,700 affiliated physicians share a commitment to helping one another, our patients and our communities. Here, you’ll work alongside the best professionals in the business with the goal of providing the best care possible. We offer an employment experience like no other, and we’ve proudly served this community for more than 110 years. At Memorial Hermann, the health of our community is always at the center of what we do.
What makes someone successful at Memorial Hermann?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Detail Oriented
It is so exciting to work for a company that truly sticks to their vision and values in terms of how we deliver patient care every day. We are constantly looking at ways to improve the lives of those in our communities, and that is what excites me the most.– Julie B., PBS Manager
Paid time off
Student Loan Repayment
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryResponsible for reviewing and abstracting inpatient medical records, as well as, identifying and assigning accurate medical codes for diagnosis, procedures and services in an inpatient setting. The Coding Specialist ensures that all data elements required for federal or state reporting and billing are collected and included in the patient’s demographic record. Typically reports to the Coding Manager.
The Certified Inpatient Coding Specialist will be responsible for coding for inpatient procedures for all Memorial Hermann facilities across the system.
Desired Skill Sets:
- Must have a minimum of 2yrs Inpatient Coding experience required
- Community hospital experience preferred
- Must be certified: CCS, RHIT or RHIA
- To be considered for this position,
Education: High School Diploma or GED required; Associates degree in Health Information Management orany Healthcare Related Field preferred
Licenses/Certifications: Coding Certification from the American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC) or the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) required
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Two (2) years of hospital inpatient experience
- Successful completion of an accredited coding training program may be substituted in lieu of experience
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of ICD-10-CM and PCS coding
- Analytical skills necessary to interpret data contained in the health records and to assign appropriate codes
- Proficient knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology and surgical terminology
- Critical thinking, good judgment and decision making skills
- Knowledge of coding compliance policies, official coding guidelines, regulatory requirements and internal policies and procedures affecting the coding process
- Proficient in navigating a Windows-based application environment
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring One Memorial Hermann.
- Reviews medical record documentation to identify pertinent diagnosis/procedures that require code assignment for inpatient records and accurately code the diagnoses and procedures using ICD-10 coding conventions for the purpose of reimbursement, research, and compliance with federal regulations.
- Reviews the medical record to assure specificity of diagnoses, procedures, and appropriate reimbursement for hospital and professional charges.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting guidelines and brings identified concerns to manager for resolution.
- Effectively assigns DRG and ICD-10 codes to inpatient records.
- Responsible in maintaining 92% to 95% in ICD-10 and DRG assignment and consistently meet established productivity standards while keeping abstracting errors to a minimum..
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
What does it mean to truly connect with a patient? You’ll find out as part of the Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you’ll have the unique opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of care. You’ll serve each patient as an individual, and you’ll help develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you’ll be empowered to do what’s best for them while also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile
- Nurse Fellowship Program – Red Duke Trauma Institute, Medicine Services, and Emergency Department Services at Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center (For Internals Only) Houston Texas Nursing, Nursing - Critical Care, Nursing - Transplant
- Medical Assistant - MHMG Firethorne Katy Texas Medical Assistants
- Sr Medical Tech - Lab Processing/Phlebotomy Houston Texas Laboratory Services