Patient Care Assistant - TIRR (PRN/Supplemental Nights)
Job DescriptionUnder the direction and supervision of a licensed clinician the Patient Care Assistant (PCA) will assist with delegated tasks of direct and indirect patient care.
Patient Care Assistant - TIRR (PRN/Supplemental / 7p-7a)
*BSL through AHA
Education: High School diploma or equivalent GED
- Certified in Basic Life Support OR Heartsaver CPR with AED within 90 days of employment; AND
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health, preferred
- Six (6) months patient care experience, preferably in an acute care setting; OR
- No experience if Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health; OR
- In the Emergency Department only, no experience if graduate from EMT (Basic or Intermediate Level)
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical terminology and computer skills
- Efficiency in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize simultaneous situations
- Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff
Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Delivers appropriate indirect and selected direct patient care at a competent level as directed by a licensed clinician within the scope of hospital-approved PCA skills inventory according to the needs and age of the patient/population served
- Under the guidance of the license clinician, performs direct nursing tasks including taking vital signs, assisting with activities of daily living and hygiene needs, and obtaining certain lab specimens; maintains simple drainage devices; monitors intake and output, and maintains related records; performs skin preps and prepares patients for procedures as directed Identifies and responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes in the patient’s condition reporting such to the nurse immediately; charts observations and activities
- Reports any changes in patient’s condition to the patient’s nurse or charge nurse Performs delegated or other specialized functions as educationally prepared; prepares patients for meals and feeds them; performs/assists with baths
- Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations. Assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues, and ensures clean and safe patient environment; seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to nurse or charge nurse
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and ensuring the highest level of service according to established service standards, optimizing the patient experience
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.