Memorial Hermann is where you belong.
PCA - MedSurg - Days
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Assists with delegated direct and indirect patient care tasks, under the direction and supervision of a licensed clinician.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent GED.
Licenses/Certifications:Certified in Basic Life Support OR Heartsaver CPR with AED within 90 days of employment; AND one or more of the following:
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health; OR
- Nursing student with completion of fundamentals of nursing; OR
- Graduate of a foreign nursing program with nursing credentials/licensure in country of origin; OR
- Completion of a Medical Assistant training program (Certification or Registration preferred); OR
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in the Emergency Department only
Experience/ Knowledge/ Skills:
- One (1) year patient care experience, preferably in an acute care setting
- In the Emergency Department only, no experience if graduate from Medical Assistant or EMT (Intermediate Level) or Paramedic Program with at least 160 hours of extern clinical experience in a designated specialty area
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical terminology and computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with increased responsibilities.
- Efficiency in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize simultaneous situations.
- Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive sitting, standing, and walking.
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Delivers appropriate advanced indirect and selected direct patient care at a competent level as directed by a licensed clinician within the scope of hospital-approved PCA skills inventory according to the needs/age of the patient/population served.
- Performs direct nursing tasks including taking vital signs, assisting with activities of daily living and hygiene needs, and obtaining certain lab specimens under the guidance of a licensed clinician; maintains simple drainage devices; monitors intake and output, and maintains related records; performs skin preps and prepares patients for procedures as directed Identifies and responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes in the patient’s condition reporting such to the patient’s nurse or charge nurse immediately; charts observations and activities.
- Performs delegated or other specialized functions as educationally prepared; prepares patients for meals and feeds them; performs/assists with baths.
- Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations; assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers.
- Assists in maintaining and providing a clean, safe environment; filling ice pitchers, changing linens, and keeping beds neat and clean.
- Assists in the orientation of new PCAs, serving as a resource and providing guidance.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues, and ensures clean and safe patient environment; seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to nurse or charge nurse.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and ensuring the highest level of service according to established service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile