Patient Safety Specialist
As part of our commitment to deliver extraordinary patient care, we redesigned our care management function. On this integrated care team, you’ll be empowered to streamline practices, improve safety and reliability of care, develop standards for medical necessity, reduce costs by eliminating unnecessary variation, and ultimately, create a better patient experience. You’ll help ensure every patient who walks through our doors receives an exceptional end-to-end patient care experience and gets home quickly and safely.
What makes someone successful at Memorial Hermann?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
As a part of the Care Management team, we get to help navigate and support patients, families, and the medical care team through complicated situations.– Michelle O., Case Manager
Paid time off
Student Loan Repayment
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryThe Patient Safety Specialist will coordinate the patient safety programs within a hospital. The Patient Safety Specialist will work collaboratively with other enterprise, regional and hospital patient safety specialists. The Patient Safety Specialist will identify methods for reduction of medical/health care errors and other factors that contribute to unintended adverse outcomes. The Patient Safety Specialist will facilitate safety assessments and coordinate the activities of the patient safety committees, educate physicians, nurses, and other practitioners on the system-based causes for medical error. The Patient Safety Specialist will communicate literature-based ideas regarding effective patient safety strategies to others within the hospital and facilitate implementation of the patient safety program within the hospital. The Patient Safety Specialist assists in the development of and implementation of Patient Safety improvement projects within the hospital while working in conjunction with physicians, directors and clinical staff. The Patient Safety Specialist supports the collection, analysis and reporting of patient safety and financial data in relation to cost containment, performance improvement and patient safety. The Patient Safety Specialist promotes interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters team work and champions service excellence.
Education: Bachelors degree or above in nursing, pharmacy, or related clinical area
Licenses/ Certifications: CPHRM, CPHQ, and/or CPSO Certification preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Five (5) years in Healthcare setting, with two years’ experience in quality, risk, or patient safety activities
- Leadership capabilities
- Effective written, verbal and presentation skills
- Proficient in event analysis methodologies
- Knowledge of high reliability methodology
- Experience in healthcare/clinical education
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Conduct the investigation, summary reporting, data analysis, response planning, implementation and follow-up of all events of harm root cause analyses within a hospital.
- Conduct periodic Common Cause Analyses of individual and system failure mode data within a hospital.
- Educate and coach hospital staff in conducting Apparent Cause Analyses on precursor and potentially near miss events.
- Participate in and coordinate comprehensive hospital data collection pertaining to patient safety to meet national, state, regional and internal measures.
- Direct activity to meet Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals, including education, monitoring, updating, and policy and procedure compliance.
- Coordinate the Patient Safety Climate survey within a hospital.
- Contribute to short term and long term robust process improvement projects to continuously improve patient safety.
- Facilitate and further develop safety coaches within the hospital.
- Educate and reinforce hospital staff in the Breakthroughs in Patient Safety and high reliability behavioral based expectations.
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analyses on patient safety processes.
- Participate in collecting accurate data pertaining to patient safety indicator and hospital acquired condition measures.
- Sharing of best practices to allow for System-wide learning.
- Collaborate with enterprise quality and patient safety program, in particular the patient safety function, to share knowledge leading to better outcomes.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
What does it mean to truly connect with a patient? You’ll find out as part of the Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you’ll have the unique opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of care. You’ll serve each patient as an individual, and you’ll help develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you’ll be empowered to do what’s best for them while also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile
- $10K Sign-On Bonus - PreOp/PACU RN (Mon-Fri/6am-2:30pm) - Memorial City Hospital Houston Texas Nursing, Nursing - OR
- Supp Call Center Rep-The Woodlands, Central Staffing The Woodlands Texas Central Staffing, PRN, Administrative / Support Services
- $10K Sign-On Bonus - PreOp/PACU Registered Nurse - (Mon-Fri/Varied Shift (days/evenings) - Memorial City Hospital Houston Texas Nursing, Nursing - OR