Patient Care Technician
Welcome to Memorial Hermann where each of our more than 27,000 employees and 6,700 affiliated physicians share a commitment to helping one another, our patients and our communities. Here, you’ll work alongside the best professionals in the business with the goal of providing the best care possible. We offer an employment experience like no other, and we’ve proudly served this community for more than 110 years. At Memorial Hermann, the health of our community is always at the center of what we do.
What makes someone successful at Memorial Hermann?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
You have to love what you do. Coming to work each day knowing that you’re going to make a difference in someone’s life through even the smallest act is what keeps me coming back.– Amanda J., Patient Care Technician
Paid time off
Student Loan Repayment
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryJob Profile Summary
Position responsible for performing direct and indirect patient care as outlined in the Skills Inventory, under the direct or indirect supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Education: High School Diploma orGED
- Certified in Basic Life Support OR Heartsaver CPR with AED within 90 days of employment; and one or more of the following:
- Certified as a Nursing Assistant by the Texas Department of Health; or
- Nursing student having completed fundamentals of nursing; or
- Completion of Patient Care Technician program (e.g. Brightwood College, St. David’s Institute for Learning) or
- Graduate of a foreign nursing program with nursing credentials/licensure in country of origin or
- Certified Medical Assistant or
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or
- Licensed Paramedic or
- Completion of U.S. Military Hospital Corpsman training
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Three (3) years patient care experience in a designated specialty area or
- No experience if nursing student having completed fundamentals of nursing or
- No experience if completion of Patient Care Technician program (e.g. Brightwood College, St. David’s Institute for Learning) or
- No experience if honorably discharged from the Military Medical Corp within the past 24 months or
- No experience if graduate from Medical Assistant or EMT (Intermediate Level) or Paramedic Program with at least 160 hours of extern clinical experience in a designated specialty area
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; demonstrates skills for assigned specialty area/function or assigned procedures, including working knowledge of basic medical terminology and computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with increased responsibilities
- Ability to perform duties requiring prolonged and/or extensive sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues, and ensures clean and safe patient environment; seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to nurse or charge nurse.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes; follows safety rules; works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors; and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
- Considers the diverse needs of each patient, providing and ensuring the highest level of service according to established service standards, optimizing the patient experience.
- Promotes a safe and accountable environment; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards, being a good steward of resources, including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; may serve as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned within scope of responsibility and clinical competency.
- Performs appropriate advanced indirect and direct patient care at a competent level as directed by a licensed clinician within the scope of hospital-approved skills inventory according to the needs/age of the patient/population served including phlebotomy and EKG; assists with planning and implementing direct patient care; documents care provided in patient medical record in accordance with hospital policies/procedures.
- Assists personnel in meeting patient/family learning needs; maintains communication with physicians and healthcare team members to ensure quality of care; coordinates schedules of diagnostic testing.
- Performs assigned treatments as directed; prepares patient for meals and feeds them; performs/assists with baths; maintains patient rooms in orderly fashion; serves as Unit Clerk and/or monitors patients as assigned.
- Identifies and responds to abnormal findings, pertinent changes in the patient’s condition reporting such to the patient’s nurse or charge nurse immediately; charts observations and activities.
- Transports patients as needed to and from various destinations; assists with patient admissions, discharges and transfers.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors, adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
What does it mean to truly connect with a patient? You’ll find out as part of the Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you’ll have the unique opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of care. You’ll serve each patient as an individual, and you’ll help develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you’ll be empowered to do what’s best for them while also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile