Memorial Hermann is where you belong.
Respiratory Care Practitioner
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryPosition responsible for administering basic and advanced therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, including arterial blood gases, neonatal procedures, trauma care and ventilator transports, to patients with respiratory disorders, including patients in adult and neonatal critical care units. Function as a resource to RCP I. Participates and leads advanced patient education. Be actively involved in departmental quality program.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Respiratory Care preferred.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) orRegistered Respiratory Therapist-Adult Critical Care Specialty (RRT-ACCS) orRegistered Respiratory Therapist-Sleep Disorders Specialty (RRT-SDS) required. (Incumbents hired into this job prior to 2/18/2019 may be either RRT or Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT)).
- Current Respiratory Care Practitioner License
- BCLS and one (1) of the following: ACLS, PALS, NRP, CPFT, RPFT, RPSGT, Asthma Certified Educator, NRP Instructor, ACLS Instructor, PALS Instructor or CPR Instructor
Experience / Skills / Knowledge:
- Minimum of one (1+) years experience with six (6) months of critical care experience.
- The position requires occasional lifting and carrying of up to 50 pounds; prolonged standing; frequent walking, stooping and squatting. Fine hand dexterity, eye-hand coordination, the ability to receive oral and written communication, and to communicate verbally and in writing are also necessary.
- The visual ability to monitor instruments, computers and equipment, recognize alphanumeric characters, distinguish colors and observe physical characteristics are essential to this position.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Performs duties in a manner to promote quality patient care and customer service/satisfaction, while promoting safety, cost efficiency, and a commitment to the CQI process. Perform respiratory care quality assurance problem solving and take appropriate actions.
- Performs respiratory care procedures: administers medical gases, humidifiers and aerosols for therapeutic and diagnostic purposes according to advanced skills check-off for RCP II. Conducts advanced patient education per skills check-off.
- Takes and follows verbal treatment orders from physicians in administering drugs and medications to the cardiopulmonary system of patients. Evaluates treatment program, results and takes appropriate action.
- Performs the following: patient assessment, interpret arterial blood gases, pulmonary function testing, hemodynamics and chest x-rays as indicated in skills check-off for RCP II. Develop respiratory care plan and make recommendations for patient management. Serve as a resource person to RCP I.
- Communicates effectively with professional colleagues. Manages time effectively. Documents appropriately in the medical records and completes other documentation duties accurately and efficiently according to policies and procedures.
- Ensures safe care to patients, adhering to policies, procedures and standards, within budgetary specifications, including time management, supply management, productivity and accuracy of practice. Participates in the evaluation of new respiratory care equipment.
- Remain current in respiratory care through continuing education, participation in in-service training, and review of journals. Conducts inter and intradepartmental respiratory care in-services at least once a year to patients, staff, hospital, system or to the community.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile
- Sign-On Bonus $10K RN - CVIMU, Nights (Southwest) Houston Texas Direct Patient Care RN, Patient Care, Nursing - All, Nursing - Critical Care, Nursing - Telemetry, Nursing - Medical Surgical, Nursing - Cath Lab
- Registered Nurse PRN - Days - General Surgery-Oncology-Trauma- Greater Heights Houston Texas Direct Patient Care RN, Patient Care, Nursing - All, Nursing - Medical Surgical, Nursing - PRN
- Product Analyst Houston Texas Health Solutions