Supp Unit Clerk
Welcome to Memorial Hermann where each of our more than 27,000 employees and 6,700 affiliated physicians share a commitment to helping one another, our patients and our communities. Here, you’ll work alongside the best professionals in the business with the goal of providing the best care possible. We offer an employment experience like no other, and we’ve proudly served this community for more than 110 years. At Memorial Hermann, the health of our community is always at the center of what we do.
What makes someone successful at Memorial Hermann?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Detail Oriented
It is so exciting to work for a company that truly sticks to their vision and values in terms of how we deliver patient care every day. We are constantly looking at ways to improve the lives of those in our communities, and that is what excites me the most.– Julie B., PBS Manager
Paid time off
Student Loan Repayment
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryProvides clerical support on a patient care unit by preparing charts, forms and menu requests and other routine clerical duties related to patient admission, discharge, and administrative matters. Also performs reception duties, answering telephones, relaying messages, and contacting patient’s family and physicians when requested.
Shift: Hours vary based on department need for support.
Education: High School graduate or GED
* Preferred Clinical or Hospital experience a plus.
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- One (1) year extensive public contact/customer service experience
- Ability to perform clerical duties using a personal computer; knowledge of filing, forms completion, and record-keeping; demonstrated working knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to understand verbal and written instruction and communicate clearly and effectively with hospital staff in face-to-face encounters and by telephone
- Ability to assimilate information verbally and in writing in order to compose written correspondence; strong command of the English language
- Strong organizational ability
- Working knowledge of medical terminology; strong customer service management skills
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Supports and maintains a variety of non-clinical and ancillary services of assigned patient care units including, but not limited to environmental services, maintenance, central supplies, food/nutrition, and related unit support functions.
- Monitors inventory of office supplies; greets visitors, answers telephones and patient intercoms, relays messages or requests to appropriate personnel.
- Distributes and posts daily schedule of cases for designated area; compiles statistics and data for reporting purposes and maintains census reports.
- Assembles/disassembles patient records and admit packs, checking charts for completion receives physicians and visitors on the unit to create an environment of service.
- Identifies, acknowledges, and responds to patient, physician, staff needs; manages patient call light process, ensuring patient needs are met.
- Ensures appropriate patient flow by admitting/transferring/discharging patient in computer system and notifying appropriate personnel of patient status; places patient descriptors on room doors; arranges for transportation/assists in transporting patients to other departments, as assigned.
- Schedules patient testing, delivers specimens to lab; receives STAT lab results and posts in the patient record; assists in ordering and serving patient meals, transporting patients, and performing indirect patient care duties at a competent level and according to the needs of the patient population served.
- Prepares, fills, and reconciles supply orders; enters charges for services and supplies into computer system for patient record; performs inventory; orders office supplies.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
What does it mean to truly connect with a patient? You’ll find out as part of the Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you’ll have the unique opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of care. You’ll serve each patient as an individual, and you’ll help develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you’ll be empowered to do what’s best for them while also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) – Hospice Houston Texas Nursing, Nursing - LVN
- Sign-On Bonus $10K! RN - Ambulatory Care Center - Days Houston Texas Nursing, Nursing - Critical Care, Nursing - Transplant
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Driver Houston Texas Facilities, Environmental & Engineering