Memorial Hermann is where you belong.
Health Information Management Coordinator, TMC
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryThe Health Information Management (HIM) Coordinator directs the daily operations of the Health Information Management department.
The applicant for this position will be required to work Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. The applicant for this position will be traveling to our Memorial City campus about 20% of the time, the other 80% will be working at our TMC campus.
Education: Bachelors degree; in lieu of degree equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered
Licenses/Certifications: RHIT or RHIA preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Eight (8) years of experience in health information management or equivalent health information management education/technical training
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong knowledge of medical records procedures and compliance
- Experience in document imaging, prepping or scanning
- Good organization skills & interpersonal skills needed
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff
- Ability to follow instructions and perform tasks accurately
- Ability to work independently with good judgment within the area of responsibility
- Working knowledge of computer systems and programs (expertise in MS Word, Excel and Adobe products)
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Maintains statistics and productivity measures and standards.
- Updates policies and procedures and assists in the development of new policies as required by federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
- Coordinates daily activities within assigned area, oversees the development of HIM staff, assigns duties and adjusts workloads based on needs.
- Responds to questions from staff and others regarding workflow problems and reassign tasks as necessary to complete daily processes.
- Assists in scheduling of vacations and holiday under the direction of the manager, maintains adequate coverage.
- Conducts new employee and on the job training for HIM staff.
- Educates staff on correct procedure guidelines.
- Oversees the workflow process and provides daily status reports to manager if backlogs develop.
- Responsible for developing and coordinating the educational and training elements of HIM compliance program, such as appropriate documentation and accurate coding to all appropriate personnel, including physicians, and office staff.
- Oversees abstracting and auditing functions.
- Handle external and internal audits of medical records.
- Validates and performs quality review of scanned records as well as monitors and maintains the integrity of the legal medical record.
- Assess and develop work flows to maintain efficiency.
- Investigates and resolves complex clerical office and chart locator problems.
- Identifies trends in scanning errors and processes and communicates to management.
- Reviews the medical record and assignment of deficiencies to assure compliance rules and regulations for record completion.
- Audits accuracy of electronic and manual entry and facilitates resolution of any discrepancies.
- Maintains records using multiple, complex filing systems to retrieve files, locate missing records, file/or scan new and updated information. Identify multiple records and purge old records.
- Determines appropriate document content and data necessary to be retained in the legal physical and electronic medical records.
- Monitors entries made into medical record documents to ensure that all information is legible, complete, and signed.
- Maintains a working knowledge of coding principles, government regulations, protocols, and third party payer requirements regarding coding and billing.
- Reviews scanned documents for accuracy, legibility, and appropriate identification.
- Provides customer service related duties.
- Communicates with physicians and staff to clarify diagnosis or get additional information.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile
- ER RN IV, PRN Central Staffing Houston Texas Direct Patient Care RN, Patient Care, Nursing - All, Central Staffing, Nursing - PRN
- ER RN, PRN Central Staffing Houston Texas Direct Patient Care RN, Patient Care, Nursing - All, Central Staffing, Nursing - PRN
- LVN, Home Health, Katy Region, Days Houston Texas Direct Patient Care LVN, Patient Care, Nursing - All, Nursing - LVN