Director, Case Management
As part of our commitment to deliver extraordinary patient care, we redesigned our care management function. On this integrated care team, you’ll be empowered to streamline practices, improve safety and reliability of care, develop standards for medical necessity, reduce costs by eliminating unnecessary variation, and ultimately, create a better patient experience. You’ll help ensure every patient who walks through our doors receives an exceptional end-to-end patient care experience and gets home quickly and safely.
What makes someone successful at Memorial Hermann?
Check out the top traits we're looking for and see if you have the right mix.
As a part of the Care Management team, we get to help navigate and support patients, families, and the medical care team through complicated situations.– Michelle O., Case Manager
Paid time off
Student Loan Repayment
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
Job SummaryThe Director of Case Management is responsible and accountable for the implementation of the case management program at the local level. The components/roles of the inpatient case management program consist of the following: Care Facilitation, Utilization Management, Case Management and Discharge Planning.
The Director is responsible for developing systems and processes for care/utilization management and discharge planning at the hospital level. In addition, the Director may be responsible for managing the department’s activities related to discharge planning and clinical quality improvement. The Director evaluates and ensures that hospital resources are used appropriately and effectively. The Director oversees the collection, analysis and reporting of financial and quality data related to utilization management, quality improvement and performance improvement. The Director promotes interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters teamwork and champions service excellence.
Education: Bachelors of Nursing (BSN) or Masters Social Work (MSW); Masters degree preferred
- Current and valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Texas or
- Current and valid Texas license as a Master’s Social Worker (LMSW), required
- LCSW preferred and Certified Case Manager (CCM), Accredited Case Manager (ACM) or
- Fellowship of the American Academy of Case Management (FAACM), required
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Minimum five (5) years experience in utilization management, case management, discharge planning or other cost/quality management program
- Three (3) years of experience in hospital-based nursing or social work preferred
- Self-motivated, proven communication skills, assertive
- Background in business planning, and targeted outcomes
- Working knowledge of managed care, inpatient, outpatient, and the home health continuum, as well as utilization management and case management
- Working knowledge of the concepts associated with Performance Improvement
- Demonstrated effective working relationship with physicians
- Ability to work collaboratively with health care professionals at all levels to achieve established goals and improve quality outcomes
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Plans, directs and supervises all aspects of the local level program.
- Facilitates growth and development of the case management program consistent with enterprise wide philosophy and in response to the dynamic nature of the health care environment through benchmarking for best practices, networking, quality management, and other activities as needed.
- Responsible for approving and managing the day to day local level operational budget.
- Assures that revenue, expenses, contribution margin and FTE’s meet or exceed budget.
- Prepares and submits budget and related reports.
- Forecasts and accurately projects expenses.
- Takes corrective action to address negative variances.
- Identifies and proposes capital budget items appropriately.
- Identifies and achieves optimal targeted financial outcomes via the inpatient case management process.
- Responsible for departmental personnel functions (hiring, firing, etc.) in conjunction with the Executive Director of Medical Management.
- Writes and conducts annual and interim performance appraisal reviews for the professional and non-professional staff in department.
- Acts as liaison to facilitate communication and collaboration between all care partners (physicians, hospitalists, community care managers, nurses, community resources, etc.)
- Responsible for leading a high performance team of “system thinkers” who incorporate leadership principles and vision in performing the functions of case management.
- Uses data to drive decisions, plan, and implement performance improvement strategies for case management.
- Oversees the education of physicians, managers, staff, patients and families related to the case management process at the local level.
- Participates in this evolutionary process by constantly identify future needs of current customers and/or identifying potential new customers.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
What does it mean to truly connect with a patient? You’ll find out as part of the Memorial Hermann Health System. Here, you’ll have the unique opportunity to utilize the latest technical advances in medicine while also benefiting from our insights into the human aspects of care. You’ll serve each patient as an individual, and you’ll help develop their own personalized plan of care.
Every day, you’ll be empowered to do what’s best for them while also advancing your own skills. If you want to explore a change in your career, we encourage it. In fact, we celebrate it. Your mentors will guide your growth, your co-workers will encourage your success and your career will be built the way you want. We invite you to follow your dreams and lead with compassionate care.
Your Saved Jobs
- No jobs saved.
Match Jobs to Your Linkedin Profile