Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, with a local economic impact of $10 billion. More than 52,000 people work within its facilities, which encompass 21 million square feet. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year. In the center, we operate Memorial Hermann-TMC, Children’s Memorial Hospital and TIRR Memorial Hermann. Memorial Hermann also operates cancer centers, surgery centers, community hospitals and medical centers across the Greater Houston area.
- If Houston were an independent nation, it would rank as the world's 30th largest economy.
- The ACCRA Cost of Living Index shows that Houston's overall after-taxes living costs are 12 percent below the nationwide average, largely due to housing costs that are 26 percent below the average
- Houstonians eat out more than residents of any other city. While here you can choose to indulge in one of the more than 11,000 restaurants, ranging from award-winning and upscale to memorable deli shops.
- Houston has a Theater District second only to New York City with its concentration of seats in one geographic area. Located downtown, the 17-block Theater District is home to eight performing arts organizations with more than 12,000 seats.
- Houston has a unique museum district offering a range of museums, galleries, and art and cultural institutions, including the City's major museums.
- Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts, and is one of five U.S. cities that offer year-round resident companies in all major performing.
- More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area.
- Houston has professional teams representing football, baseball, men's and women's basketball, soccer and AHL hockey.
- Houston is home to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The largest rodeo in the world, it attracts more than 1.8 million visitors each year.
- Houston boasts more than 140 languages & 60 higher learning institutions. – offering higher education options to suit all interests.